Enquiry line: +44 207 998 0570
Available 9:00am - 5:30pm (CET)

For many years we have been providing residency solutions for British nationals wishing to move to Spain from the UK. Our residency process starts by looking at how you might be affected by the UK statutory residency test which was introduced by HMRC in 2013 before determining the optimum time to leave the UK and establish your residency in Spain.


How to get Residency in Spain

You become Spanish tax resident if you spend more than 183 days in Spain in a calendar year or if Spain is your centre of ‘economic interests’ or your centre of ‘vital interests’. In the latter case if your spouse or dependent children live permanently in Spain you will be presumed Spanish tax resident even if you spend less than 183 days there.

Applying for Residency in Spain

Our residency experts will guide you through the process of exiting the UK and obtaining permanent residency in Spain or if you are already resident in Spain, without having made a formal declaration, helping you rectify this situation.

Not only do you want to move seamlessly to Spain you will want to understand the tax implications of your move both in the UK and Spain and ensure that your financial arrangements are set up in the most tax efficient way possible. Our holistic approach to financial planning means that your financial advisors will help you in all of these areas to ensure a successful transition into the Spanish tax system.

Spain and Gibraltar

Many of our clients wish to either work in Gibraltar and live in Spain or have homes in both jurisdictions. In the past it was all too easy to live under the radar in Spain and pay lower taxes in Gibraltar even if you were exceeding the 183 day period for tax residency in Spain. However, since the introduction of Common Reporting Standards Spain and Gibraltar have been exchanging tax and financial information with each other and a Treaty has now been ratified between the two countries setting out new residency conditions which could affect you if you have previously been tax resident in Spain but now wish to move permanently to Gibraltar.

We are able to give you first hand advice on the specific cross border tax issues between Spain and Gibraltar and how you can establish residency in Spain without falling foul of the Spanish tax authorities. We will help you on how to get the best residency in Spain and then show you the best way to mitigate tax and keep more of your hard-earned income or capital.

Expats in Spain Guide Image

Talk To Us

To speak directly to a financial advisor about the tax planning considerations as a tax resident in Spain or if you require help on how to get residency in Spain; please contact us on Tel: +44 207 998 0570 or email connect@fwm.gi